Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No power = No locks?

This morning, on the way out the door I checked the doors on the Vue. Sure enough one of the back doors was unlocked. No problem (hit the button on the remote) D'oh. I took the battery out of the Vue last night while doing all of the cutting. So I flipped the look on the door and all was well.

Then I checked the back hatch. It was unlocked. There's no way I could find to manually lock the hatch. Hrmph! What to do?

Well, I'm a resourceful guy, I should be able to figure this out. Then I got an idea. I went inside and found something that should work. I brought out my 3Amp 12v power supply. I grabbed a power cord from an old laptop, cut the ends off, split it down the middle and stripped the ends.

I turned it on and... NOTHING! 3 amps should be enough to lock the doors. Why isn't it working?

Then I remembered, The strap that grounded the battery to the frame had been bolted to the piece of metal I carved away. No circuit, no power. I cut a piece off of one of the pieces of wire and used it to tie the ground strap to the body.

I hit the lock button once, "CLUNK" the locks locked, another time, D'oh the horn was attached to the big scrap of metal I cut away last night.

All-in-all it was a pretty quick and quite adequate solution. I think it took me longer to type this than to actually do it



Well, that resolved I went to work. I made a couple calls and went over to a junkyard, about 10 minutes from work. He had a Vue out in the lot. It had the steel I needed. I gave him a deposit and will go over on Friday with John to pick it up.

I hope to get it cut to fit over the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment